The following fax was sent to the Arlington City Manager regarding the Sublett Road expansion. Please use this as an incentive to write, call or fax the Arlington City Manager to plead our case!
September 21, 2015
Arlington City Managers Office
Subject: Kroger/Sublett Road Expansion
It is our understanding that over the past 20 years, negotiations have taken place between the Cities of Kennedale and Arlington regarding improvement of Sublett Road West of Hwy 287/Sublett intersection. Kennedale has made drastic improvements to Sublett Rd. from its city limits westward but alas, Arlington has made no improvements other than re-pavement of the narrow road. Thus, the residents of Kennedale and Arlington are stuck with the following dangerous condition of Sublett Road.
1. Absolutely no shoulder on the North side.
2. A dangerously narrow bridge with no provision for pedestrian traffic.
3. Arlington non-bussed school children and residents must traverse this part of Sublett on their way to Kennedale schools and wait for the bridge to clear before attempting to cross.
4. The narrow bridge has been hit by vehicles on several occasions.
5. Residents are reluctant to attempt crossing the narrow bridge on foot, thereby degrading the capability of “strolling the neighborhood”.
For the Kroger expansion project, please consider extending the Sublett Road improvement westward to the Kennedale City Limit and replacing the dangerous bridge.
Thanks for your consideration,
Obie G. Fuller
1254 Elmbrook Drive
Kennedale, TX 76060
City Manager Yelverton asked the Department … View more of Public Works & Transportation to respond to your question regarding road improvements on Sublett Road.
Negotiations are still ongoing with Kroger so nothing is definite at this time. If agreements are reached with Kroger they will construct Sublett adjacent to their site and the city has been looking into funding options to construct the remaining section of Sublett to the West city limit line. This section would include a new culvert under Sublett Road and allow for sidewalks on both sides of the roadway to allow for safe passage of pedestrians in this area.
Funding is a challenge since this section of Sublett Road was not approved in the 2014 Street Bond Program approved by the citizens on Arlington.
Please free to contact me should you have any further questions.
Keith Melton, P.E.
Director of Public Works & Transportation